Guidance notes on filling in the 790-012 tax/fee form

Guidance notes on filling in the 790-012 tax/fee form

A small fee (around 9 to 12 euros) is needed to apply at an authorised National Police station either for:

i) a NIE number or

ii) a TIE photo card as a British citizen who has already registered as living in Spain before 31st December 2020. (Option on form: ‘Certificado de Residencia de Ciudadano Comunitario’.)

This is paid in advance at any bank of your choice and you take a stamped receipt to the police station with you from the bank along with the rest of your application details.

The tax form is called 790-012 and is a standard form used for paying lots of different taxes/fees for immigration matters, so on the form you need to tick the right box for the service you are paying for.

This form can now only be filled in online and printed out to take to the bank. It is no longer given out at police stations nor immigration offices and cannot be filled in by hand.

The form is very quick to complete and can be filled in by clicking here. (External link). You complete it then press the blue button at the end to get a copy you can print out and sign.

Guidance notes: As the form is in Spanish, below is some advice in English for guidance only (correct at July 2020 and subject to change without notice).

Please note:

  1. Don’t forget to take with you all the other documentation you need. This is just an unofficial translation of the tax form as a guide.
  2. If you are asking the National Police to issue you a TIE photo ID card (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) as a British citizen who has registered that they lived in Spain before 31st December 2020,  still tick the fee option below that is marked Registry – ‘Certificado de Residencia de Ciudadano Comunitario’. 
  3. Remember, as a British citizen claiming you were living in Spain before 31st December 2020, if you do not already hold green documentation (a green sheet of paper or small green card), there is a new two-step process. To apply for a TIE you first need approval of your residency by applying at the provincial Immigration office and, once you have this approval, you have just one month from the date you receive approval to apply separately to the National Police for your TIE to be issued.

If you already hold a green document (a green sheet of paper or small green credit-card-sized paper) you are NOT obliged to have a TIE. Your green documentation remains valid after 31st December 2020 if you are living in Spain to prove you are resident. However you can change it if you want to.

(See Living in Spain from the UK government for more details).

Return to previous page.

(We welcome feedback from you based on your actual experiences so we can help other users).  

    Help our web team spot any link not working on this page or any changes needed:


    Last Update: 22/02/2021  

    26/02/2018 9557
    Total 93 Votes:

    Tell us how can we improve this post?

    + = Verify Human or Spambot ?