I need a disabled parking badge

I need a disabled parking badge

(The decision by the UK to leave the European Union (EU) in the future does not currently change your rights in any way. The British government advises all British nationals living in Spain to ensure they are registered as resident and have a valid green credit-card-sized (or A4-sized) certificate.)  

Current and valid disabled parking badges showing the name of the holder which have been issued by another EU country can be used in Spain.

However, if you need to apply for one while in Spain, this service is handled by the Junta de Andalucía regional government’s equality and social policy department (Consejería de Igualdad y Politicas Sociales) (Andalucía region).


Certifying degree of disability before applying for your badge

An applicant will first need to fill in a form and attend a medical and/or psychological assessment to evaluate the degree of incapacity that they have, (if they have not done so already for other benefits or services).

An applicant must have a certified 33% or more level of disability and difficulty moving which would prevent them taking public transport easily and/or a sight impediment to successfully apply for a badge.

The form for a disability assessment is available by clicking here

It should be completed and submitted with a medical report, doctor’s/psychologist’s notes going back at least six months or detailed doctor’s letter  (translated if it is not in Spanish), stating the nature of the disability and, in the case of needing a parking permit, the degree and nature of impaired mobility.

This can be submitted in the public registry (registro public) of any town hall and the papers will be sent to the Junta de Andalucía department’s office in the capital of each province (depending on where you live) or they can be submitted in person to the office that coordinates the applications in the capital of each province. These are called evaluation centres or officially, “Centro de Valoración y Orientación”. By clicking on this link and scrolling down a little, you will be able to see the address and contact details for the office in the province in Andalucía where you live.


The applicant will then be contacted to attend an assessment at the relevant centre in their own provincial capital. The whole process can take up to six months.

Applying for a disabled parking badge

Once the degree of incapacity has been certified, the application for a disabled parking badge can be submitted. This process may also take a further six months. Full information (in Spanish) is available by clicking here.

And the form to be filled in by clicking here.

There is also an option whereby a disabled parking badge can be issued on humanitarian grounds (‘razones humanitarias’) for one year (renewable) in the event of a severe illness or reduced lifespan, without the need to have the level of incapacity certified. A health centre can normally advise on this and issue a certificate to use in the application. For more information contact the address above or call the 24 hour Junta de Andalucía information line for disabilities: (0034)900555564 (Spanish).

Note: All EU citizens have the right to apply for the disabled badge but must have a NIE (foreigners’ identification number), passport from an EU country  and must have a record that they are registered on the local census at their town hall (‘empadronado’). For details on how to do this, click here.

The foreign residents registry certificate (green A4 paper or card), required when somebody from another EU country is resident in Spain over three months, is not normally required but may be asked for. Since this is needed to access public health care an applicant normally has this already anyway.

If you need assistance filling in forms or paperwork in Spanish, by clicking here you can see the organisations that may be able to help.

Last Update: March 22, 2019  

September 9, 2017   140    Disability, Understanding The System  
Total 2 Votes:

Tell us how can we improve this post?

+ = Verify Human or Spambot ?