Which British welfare benefits am I entitled to?

Which British welfare benefits am I entitled to?

(According to the Withdrawal Agreement, Britain’s exit from the EU has not changed the rights of those Britons living in Spain into the future, providing you are registered as resident and have the green-coloured certificate (credit-card-sized or A4 sized)  OR the equivalent TIE photo card  that shows you were resident in Spain by the end of the transition period (31st December 2020)) 

If you are living in Spain, even if you have registered as a Spanish resident, you can find details of UK benefits you may be entitled to and how to apply at these website links from the British Government:




Most often, if you have lived and worked in the UK or a spouse has, you may be entitled to a British state pension and one of the following UK allowances if you have a particular illness or disability, even if you are resident in Spain:-

  • Disability Living Allowance care component
  • Personal Independence Payment living component
  • Attendance Allowance or Carer’s Allowance

Please use the above website to find out more.

Spanish statutory support

Some people may be entitled to Spanish government benefits or support as residents. Click here for more information.

If you need extra help understanding or more support applying for UK or Spanish benefits or Spanish government services, please see this list of possible contacts. (Add in your town or village on the next page to filter results to organisations near you).    

Please note applying for benefits from either the UK or Spain is not an immediate process. It is recommended to apply as soon as possible, even if you are unsure about your long-term residency plans in Spain, as any other emergency help you receive could only be limited for a short period of time.

Benefits if you are returning to the UK to live

If you are planning to return to live permanently in the UK you may also be entitled to benefits and help on return. For an overview of what the process might be see this link:


If you require more specific help about entitlement to UK benefits if you return to live in the UK, we suggest you contact the Citizens’ Advice Bureau nearest to where you plan to live or plan to travel back to.


On this site you can search specific questions or find your nearest office. (Please note that a Citizens’ Advice Bureau in the UK cannot normally offer detailed advice if you plan to stay living in Spain).



    Help our web team spot any link not working on this page or any changes needed:


    Last Update: 22/02/2021  

    05/09/2017 565  Benefits & Personal Finance
    Total 0 Votes:

    Tell us how can we improve this post?

    + = Verify Human or Spambot ?