Brexit Update

British nationals are encouraged to register as residents with their nearest National Police station or provincial Oficina de Extranjería and receive their green credit-card-sized (or A4) certificates before March 29, 2019, if they have not already done so.

In June 2016 Britain voted to leave the European Union (EU), which Spain is part of.

Negotiations are currently under way between Britain and the EU over the terms of that withdrawal (Brexit), but Britain for the moment is still inside the EU.

The most important piece of news for British nationals who are resident in Spain at the moment is that nothing has changed with regards to their rights and obligations while in Spain. UK nationals have exactly the same entitlements in all areas as before the vote to leave the EU.

This includes healthcare, employment, residency and all other areas of life in Spain. Nothing has changed.

As part of the negotiations to leave the EU, Britain and the EU will agree what happens to all the existing rights British nationals have in Spain, both for those that already live here and for new people coming from the UK to live, work or retire.

While nothing can be guaranteed until the long and complex negotiations are finished, the British government and the EU (and the Spanish government itself) have all said repeatedly that their aim is to protect those rights as far as possible for those already living in Spain when Britain finally leaves the EU and build a strong future collaborative relationship between the EU and Britain.

Ensure you are officially registered in Spain: If you are living in Spain already, British Government advice is to ensure that you have registered as an official resident in Spain to ensure your rights are best protected after Brexit whatever happens (the small green card or A4 sheet certificate). This process may take several weeks so plan early.

You can find out about this process here

Note: You have a right if you wish to, after being in Spain more than five years, to apply for the card to be reissued as permanent (marked Residente Permanente), although this is not a legal requirement nor obligatory.

For the moment Britain is still fully part of the European Union (EU) and a British national who is resident in Spain has the same rights and obligations in all areas as they always have done.

More information

The British government maintains an information page on the latest news about the process to leave the EU which can be seen by on clicking here

There is also a special British government web page specific to those living in Spain.

The Spanish government will provide more information on contingency plans for Brexit  on this link

The following independent groups can also provide additional information and support:

Updated: January 2019